MS polymer adhesives and sealants for transport
MS polymer adhesives and sealants make transport vehicles greener
MS polymer adhesives and sealants, also known as silyl modified polyethers, were developed in Japan in the 80 ́s. Since then MS polymer adhesive and sealant systems have spread to North America, gaining more and more share, also in the transport vehicle industry including manufacturing of buses, trucks, trains and agricultural machinery.
The need for MS polymer adhesive and sealant systems is ever-growing mainly due to their environmentally friendliness. These systems do not contain silicone, solvents and isocyanates.Naturally there is more to it: exceptional properties, advantages to alternative and broad range of possible uses make MS polymer the go to solution in transport and vehicles industry.
Benefits of using MS polymers in transport vehicles
MS polymer belongs to the group of silane modified polymers: the other type is SPUR polymer. MS polymer is usually preferred as a sealant is it is more elastic and slightly less resistant than SPUR polymers. Nevertheless, MS polymers are also used in high performance adhesives.
MS polymers combine the benefits of polyurethane and silicone based systems at the same time cancelling most of their disadvantages. Below we list some of the general advantages of MS polymer adhesive and sealant systems which make them suitable for transport and vehicles.
- Watertight: when absolutely waterproof seals and bonds are required, MS polymer based systems do the job.
- Chemical resistant: especially in vehicle manufacture, it is crucial that seals and bonds resist certain chemicals such as fuels and cleaning substances.
- Environmentally friendly: one of the most important benefits of MS polymers is that they do not contain silicone oil, isocyanates or solvents.
- Flexible: MS polymers are extremely flexible and therefore, suitable even for the most demanding elastic bonding and sealing solutions.
- Weatherproof: important for vehicles that are continuously exposed to the elements, MS polymers are weatherproof lasting significantly longer than for example polyurethane.
- Easy to process: most MS polymer adhesives and sealants do not require any surface preparation, which increases process efficiency. They also adhere to most substrates without pretreatment and bond and seal dissimilar materials.
- UV resistant: compared to silicone and polyurethane sealants and adhesives, silyl modified systems are more UV resistant and require less maintenance when applied to vehicle parts exposed to UV rays.
No silicone, solvents and isocyanates
MS polymers do not contain any silicone, solvents or isocyanates unlike polyurethane and silicone based products they are often compared to. These three ingredients are common in chemical products as they improve workability in some cases. They are, however, also hazardous as for example isocyanates are classified as possible human carcinogens, solvents may cause respiratory problems and silicone can lead to skin irritation. These ingredients may also contribute to problems in developing seals and bonds. Note that even though MS polymer adhesives and sealants are silicone, isocyanate and solvent free, they remain chemicals and require safety measures to be taken when worked with.
The absence of solvents, silicone and isocyanates also provide significant benefits:
- No bubbling: when a sealant or adhesive is applied, it comes in touch with moisture in the ambient and in the substrate. If the system contains isocyanates, bubbling is possible due to the isocyanates reacting with water and releasing co2.
- No staining: some sealants tend to cause staining. This is usually due to silicone oil, which is not used in MS polymer adhesive and sealant systems.
- Applicable to damp substrates: due to the absence of isocyanates allows for application on damp or wet substrates.
- No shrinkage: solvent based systems usually shrink as they cure through solvent evaporation. 100% solid MS polymer systems do not suffer from shrinkage.
- Paintable: MS polymer can be painted with most water based paints. This is not an option when the system contains silicone.
MS polymer adhesive and sealant uses in transport
The aforementioned properties make MS polymer adhesives and sealants perfect for various applications in the transport and vehicles industry. They are used in manufacturing of for example buses, trucks, trains, agricultural machinery and cars. The more specific applications include direct glazing, body structures as well as floors and side panels. In North America, MS polymers were first introduced to sealing and bonding including windshields. Since then other applications have been introduced, and more possibilities are developed all the time.
Choose for MS polymer adhesives and sealants to improve efficiency and reliability
MS polymers have been proven to be considerable alternatives for traditional silicone and polyurethane sealants and adhesives. They increase efficiency due to the fact that they do not require much surface preparation or pretreatment. They are also a greener option and safer to work with as no isocyanates, silicone or solvents are involved. MS polymer adhesive and sealants systems also contribute to reliability since their chemical formulation cancels several known problems with polyurethanes, silicones and other common solutions.
Curious for MS polymers? Contact us and find out how MS polymers can improve your process efficiency, worker safety and product reliability!